Gnome Elf Tomten Doll

 These are the books that inspired me to write my Nikki Nissa and the Christmas Star story. The Tomten..is the one front left..such a sweet story and then Peter front right..It seems Nikki looks a little like Peter. I read these to my son when he was little.  Other books are newer as I learned more about Tomten/Nissa the Scandinavian Elf/Gnomes.
 I am going to the SCBWI children's book conference in WA in April. Iam making a Nikki doll from the character in my book to hang off my purse as a door opener ...meeting people.. editors, agents, publishers, and fellow illustrator/writers..connecting..and having fun.

 This was my first try for the face. But he looked too much like a girl so I changed him.
  This is my first experience with making fiber hair for a doll ....natural sheep wool from local sheep.
 It caused me a little stress as I didn't have very much wool. But then I found a source in a yarn shop called "Rose and Ram" in a little village below my house 4 miles away. No one else had any and I didn't want to wait to order. The owner of Rose and Ram has a farm with sheep!
 It was hard as I had to wash the wool and pull it out in strands and dry..I had never done this.
 But it came out..Yes!
 Then I used a razor to cut the hair in levels..the scissors where to straight..so I could pull and razor cut. I tried to pull the fibers when dry but it was hard. That is how I did it when it was wet to make the strands but now they had to be shorter for the doll.

 Next I wanted to make the hair with strands..
 So I used this product from Sally's and water.
 A little drying..
 
Time to paint and make the shoes..I also put some clear shinny coat on the eyes and mouth to get the wet look.. Now some more drying over the stove.
Wild hair days for me and Nikki..no makeup..just working hard to finish the doll.
 I will post him when he is totally finished...Back to work on finishing the dummy book ..formatting the font and pages..has taken more time them I expected..but is so much better now.

With the Spring coming on it is hard to stay inside but..I am determined to finish this project!

Comments

Janine said…
These are wonderful photos Deirdra! I love the doll! I just came home from the antique mall, I bought some old, old readers! I just love the drawings and the stories in them. Some I can't believe they got away with back then but still fun to read. The artwork is inspiring so are the stories. I know what you mean!
C. said…
Sounds like you've been up to some fun things! Yes, he does look like a boy now, a lovely boy. Have fun at the conference, hope you make some great contacts!

Popular Posts